Are you facing sleeping disorders? Does your belly seem perpetually upset? Are you feeling down? You then decide to go to a physician who further hands you a prescription or two suggesting mainstream tablets & capsules. But do you think this prescriptive approach will anyway heal the unwell? Don’t you think this in inevitably make you dependable upon the tablets & capsules in the long run? If we sum all our answers in one word, then it’s a NO! And here where the Functional medicines rope in as a new & far better alternative.
So, what is ‘Functional Medicine’? According to Dr. Sampson, Institute for Functional Medicine (IFM), an organization founded by the other big name in FM, Jeffrey Bland, PhD- “Functional Medicine addresses the underlying causes of disease, using a system-oriented approach and engaging both patient and practitioner in a therapeutic partnership. It is an evolution in the practice of medicine that better addresses the healthcare needs of the 21st century. By shifting the traditional disease-centered focus of medical practice to a more patient-centered approach,
Functional Medicine addresses the whole person, not just an isolated set of symptoms. Functional Medicine practitioners spend time with their patients, listening to their histories and looking at the interactions among genetic, environmental, and lifestyle factors that can influence long-term health and complex, chronic disease. In this way, Functional Medicine supports the unique expression of health and vitality for each individual”.
It is the most profound & effective way to treat chronic health issues. Let’s have a look at some of the benefits of functional medicine over the current system of prescriptive medicinal approach:
1. Functional medicine is a personalised, one-on-one therapeutic approach. In this approach, the doctors not only examine the patient’s body, but also their unique pedigree history, lifestyle, dietary habits, environment and underlying factors. After a complete observation of all the records, they then develop a health-enhancing, usually drug-free plan to help restore the patient to good health and get him or her on a lifelong path of wellness.
2. It is an artisanal form of medicine because it involves patience, care, time and true healing in the long run. It tries to eradicate the issue from its roots. Some doctors believe that, ‘by addressing the underlying causes of illness and disease, Functional Medicine practitioners are able to design unique, personalized healing strategy that Conventional Medicine literally doesn’t have the tools, training, or the time for’.
3. We all have been dependent on conventional medicines for ages, no doubt they are great at managing medical & surgical emergencies, infections, sudden crisis but falls short in the way of treating chronic ailments like cardiovascular diseases, fatigue issues, diabetes, functional disorders, gastrointestinal problems & stress related disorders. And this is where functional medicine shines bright with its thoughtful & comprehensive approach.
4. It is a true combination of Conventional Medicine & a lot of different alternative and complementary therapies including Nutraceuticals & IV Therapy.
5. Functional medicine is a true health care method with a future mission of ending the need to visit a doctor & to have numerous tablets and capsules for treatment.
It rather incorporates lifestyle medicine, Nutraceuticals, nutritional supplements & minerals, exercise, yoga, healing exercises and stress reduction therapies in order to improve the functioning of organs as a means of preventing disease and creating vibrant, sustainable health. No doubt, this is the future of medicine!